The Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center located in Augusta Georgia is seeking a BC/BE Orthopedic surgeon to join a group of four surgeons, 3 Physicians assistants and orthopedic residents.
The Augusta Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center is a two-division Medical Center that provides tertiary care in medicine, surgery, neurology, psychiatry, rehabilitation medicine, and spinal cord injury. The Medical Center is affiliated with the Augusta University, Augusta, GA and as such integrates teaching, research, and advanced patient care, making it an attractive academic medical center.
The Orthopedic Surgeon will perform surgical as well as other procedures for which proficiency and prior experience is required including:
- Experience and interest in teaching ACGME Orthopedic residents
- Total Joint experience (hip and knee)
- Shoulder experience
- Must be US Citizen who has completed ACGM residency and is Board Certified or Board Eligible
- Participates in Resident Education and Resident Supervision and will be required to attend weekly and monthly conferences at CNVAMC and Augusta University.
- Serves as attending physician in orthopedic clinic to evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients Performs peer reviews and administrative assignments as necessary.
The Orthopedic Surgeon provides orthopedic on-call services and will share responsibilities for conducting orthopedic hospital rounds on post-operative patients and inpatient management.
Work Hours: 8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday
Salary Range: up to $400,000 per year
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers an excellent salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life.
a. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g, this part.)
b. Education. Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are:
(1) Schools of medicine holding regular institutional membership in the Association of American Medical Colleges for the year in which the degree was granted.
(2) Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted.
(3) Schools (including foreign schools) accepted by the licensing body of a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico), or in the District of Columbia as qualifying for full or unrestricted licensure.
c. Licensure and Registration
(1) Physicians (Except Residents). Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
e. Physical Standards. Applicants must meet physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to placement is required. This is a designated drug testing position. After appointment, you will be subject to random testing for illegal drug use. Requires lifting 15-44 pounds; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and kneeling. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
f. English Language Proficiency. Physicians, including residents, appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required.