The Tuscaloosa, Alabama VA Medical Center is searching for a BE/BC Family Medicine/Internal Medicine Physician to join their dynamic healthcare team as a Staff Hospitalist. The facility has 2 part time openings.
Facility will consider Green Card Holders and H1B candidates.
The Hospitalist is a staff physician responsible for maintaining professional, technical and administrative knowledge, competencies and skills to provide effective, timely and quality responses to patients who present themselves with acute or emergent health care problems during weekends, holidays, evenings and nights (WHEN), specifically.
The Hospitalist is responsible for overall clinical leadership during on WHEN duty hours and ensures the quality of medical and mental health services provided, the education and training of professional staff, and the safety and ethical conduct of medical research conducted on patients assigned under purview. A comprehensive skill set of clinical and administrative expertise is required to meet the needs of widespread rural health patient populations.
The Hospitalist must demonstrate knowledge and skills in interpersonal relations, including the ability to appropriately and courteously relate to internal and external customers. The Hospitalist may be required to collaborate with one or more advance practice nurses or physicians assistants. The Hospitalist is a physician and serves as the primary point of accountability in the service and maximizes the efficient use of available resources.
The physician maintains high clinical standards that are carried into decision-making processes and maintain BLS certification.All physicians comply with credentialing and privileging and required monitoring and evaluation criteria. The physicians comply with current standards for medical record documentation. The Hospitalist will provide medical coverage for the entire VA medical facility.
Duties include: The Hospitalist will provide professional patient care approximately 50% of the time and administrative duties 50% of the time. The duties and responsibilities of the hospitalist physician include but are not limited to the following:
• Functioning as facility’s medical officer for weekends, holidays, evenings or nights (WHEN)
• Providing admission and discharge management for inpatient units outside of regular administrative hours
• Working with clinical staff, supervisors, managers and team leaders in the facility to achieve and maintain high standards of performance
• Obtaining certification to perform administrative reviews to complete Compensation & Pension (C&P) Disability Benefits Questionnaires through record review
• Participating in the development of long and short-term goals for the continued improvement of medical services throughout the organization
• Functioning as advisor to the Chief of Staff, Associate Director, Associate Director for Nursing and Patient Care Services, and Facility Director on issues related to the provision of direct patient care during WHEN duty hours
• Functioning as a collaborating provider for Advance Practice Nurses/Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants, and Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, as needed
• Participating on Medical Center committees, workgroups and systems redesign projects, as needed.
• Contributing to the development and implementation of policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services to patients during WHEN hours.
• Facilitating compliance with standards established by oversight and regulatory entities such as Joint Commission, CARF, OSHA, CAP, OIG, etc.
• Providing coverage as Employee Health Physician during WHEN hours
• Ensuring timely completion of all program evaluations and documents associated with clinical care reviews and medical advisory opinions by the Medical Center, VISN, and/or VACO
• Ensuring that Reusable Medical Equipment systematic processes are utilized
• Complying with the Green Environmental Management System goals
The Hospitalist is responsible for the completion of the environmental aspect/impact analysis in collaboration with the GEMS Coordinator, for effective implementation of the operational strategies developed through the GEMS program to ensure regulatory compliance, and for improving environmental performance within her/her service.
Also the physician shall consider environmentally preferable and recycled products in all purchasing decisions.• Complying with Cultural Transformation & Patient Centered Care goals. The physician will reinforce perception of excellent care through cultural transformation and patient centered cultural improvement projects. The physician will indirectly and directly provide efforts to support a cultural change and patient centered culture at TVAMC.
Salary Range: up to $264,000 per year
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be authorized for a highly qualified candidate
The selected candidate may be eligible to apply for partial student loan reimbursement under the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), subject to available funding. You will be required to make contact with the Program Coordinator in Human Resources within 30 days of your appointment date to confirm your eligibility and initiate application paperwork.
• U.S. citizenship
• Degree of doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathic medicine, or an equivalent degree
• Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia
• Must have completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed
• Proficient in spoken and written English
• Must meet physical standards established for this position
Preferred Experience: Board certification in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life.