The Ralph Johnson VA Medical Center located in Charleston, SC is recruiting for an energetic, full-time board eligible/board certified Geriatrician/Palliative Care Physician to provide clinical care, supervise residents and students, and perform/support research in areas relevant to geriatrics and palliative care.
This physician provides coverage in the Hospice/Palliative Care Clinic for ongoing outpatient management as well as care coordination and providing education regarding diagnosis, prognosis, treatment goals, and symptom management and manages an inpatient Geriatrics Service.
The physician will also provide coverage in Palliative Care to include outpatients and inpatient consults. Physician will be expected to actively participate in the education of internal medicine trainees and work with variety of other disciplines.
Additional duties may include providing physician coverage for the Home Based Primary Care Program in the Charleston VAMC catchment area.
Board certification/board eligibility in geriatrics and/or palliative care medicine is preferred.
Work Schedule: 8:00AM - 4:30PM, Monday thru Friday, Some Weekends and Holidays
Salary Range: Up to $225,000 per year
- Citizenship - Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Education - Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Licensure - Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Residency - Completion of residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Language Proficiency - Must be proficient in spoken and written English
- Physical requirements - Must meet physical standards established for this position
Board eligible/board certified in Geriatrics and/or Palliative Care Medicine
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www4.va.gov/JOBS/Job_Benefits/benefits.asp .
Ø Annual performance-based bonuses.
Ø Full-time physicians earn 26 days of paid annual leave each year, in addition to 13 days of earned sick leave, and 10 paid Federal holidays;
Ø No liability or tail insurance required for VA practice. VA physicians are covered by the Federal Tort Claims Act, under which the United States Government accepts responsibility and liability for the actions of its employees during the exercise of their official duties;
Ø Individual and group health insurance plans and life insurance options, including supplemental family coverage, with premium contributions paid by the Federal government;
Ø DEA Registration fees waived for federal employees