The Edward Hines Jr. VA Hospital in the Chicagoland area is searching for a dynamic, enthusiastic BC physician to lead our Department of Medicine. The Chief of Medicine provides administrative, clinical and programmatic leadership for the hospital's medical programs to ensure achievement of clinical goals and applicable performance measure. The Chief of Medicine is responsible for hands on clinical work, oversight, and administration of all aspects of care by providers and trainees in primary care, inpatient medicine, and medical specialties. Broad oversight of Educational and Research programs in the Department are also part of the role. We are looking for someone with proven skills in developing and planning programs that solve problems and/or programmatic deficits. You must be board certified in internal medicine and eligible for a faculty level appointment at the Associate Professor level or above at Loyola University. Significant academic and clinical leadership experience preferred.
The position has direct responsibility and accountability for the operations of Cardiology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Emergency Room, Gastroenterology, Hematology, Oncology, Hospitalist, Medical Intensive Care, Nephrology, Pulmonary, Rheumatology and Compensation and Pension.
- Competitive salary and annual performance bonus
- Guaranteed salary increases
- Full benefits (see below) including traditional pension plan in addition to a 401K-type plan with up to 5% in employer contributions
- Signing Bonus possible!
- Hours: Generally 8 am - 4:30 pm, M-F
- Department stats: Large service line with approximately 220 total FTE and 11-12 sections with section chiefs who will be direct reports
- Licensure: 1 Full and unrestricted license from any US State is permissible to work at this facility
- CME: $1,000 per year stipend for reimbursement + possible 1 week paid authorized absence to attend
- Malpractice: Liability protection with tail coverage provided
- No Physician Employment Contract!
In addition to competitive pay and liability protection, the VA also offers a robust benefits plan that includes:
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over! Unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays with pay
- Possible 5 Days paid Authorized Absence to attend CME
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-FRAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees hired after January 1, 2014 automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee's salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee's salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2016, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years' service