Emergency Department Physician Opportunity
The Southern Arizona VA Healthcare System
This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced Emergency physician to provide care and management of acutely ill patients with complex medical problems. Physician performs clinical duties in the 19-bed Emergency Department which operates 24/7 for the current 20,000 patients seen annually. Incumbent will participate in clinical protocol development; facility emergency response/disaster preparedness; and facilitate smooth flow of patients through the unit to avoid waits and delays. The successful candidates must be proficient instructors to Internal and Emergency Medicine Residents. The physician is required to maintain ACLS/BLS/Intubation proficiency and certification.
The Tucson VA is the principal teaching affiliate with the University of Arizona Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy; medical students, residents, and fellows rotate at the facility. Therefore, the selected candidate may also be eligible for an appointment with the University of Arizona. The Tucson VA is a tertiary care facility providing a full range of clinical services including cardiac surgery and neurosurgery. It has been a flagship quality provider within the VA and was a 2012 winner of the prestigious Robert W. Carey Performance Excellence Award.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be Board Certified or Board Eligible
- Must have full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in ANY U.S. State.
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation
- 10 paid Federal holidays per year
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee’s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee’s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2015, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
Community, Facility and Organization
The Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) consists of eight VHA facilities located in Tucson, Northwest Tucson, Southeast Tucson, Casa Grande, Green Valley, Sierra Vista, Safford and Yuma, Arizona. Tucson is home to the SAVAHCS main campus (285 beds) where key administrative support services, inpatient, outpatient, and specialty care are based. Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC) are located in Northwest Metropolitan Tucson (15 miles from Southern Arizona VA Health Care System), Southeast Metropolitan Tucson (19 miles), Casa Grande (68 miles), Green Valley (25 miles), Safford (127 miles), Sierra Vista (72 miles), and Yuma (237 miles).
SAVAHCS is a Joint Commission accredited level 1a complexity, tertiary care and teaching health care system, providing a full range of patient care services utilizing state-of-the-art technology, as well as offering graduate medical education and research. Comprehensive inpatient health care is provided through both primary and subspecialty care; in Medicine (56 authorized beds); Surgery (25 authorized beds); Critical Care-Intensive Care Unit and Step-Down Unit (31 authorized beds); Psychiatry (28 authorized beds); Physical Medicine, Geriatrics and Advanced Rehabilitation (96 authorized beds); Southwestern Blind Rehabilitation Center (31 authorized beds); and Domiciliary-Substance Abuse Residential (18 authorized beds). SAVAHCS operates a 24-hour emergency room. Referral services for VISN 22 include cardiothoracic surgery, angiography, cardiac catheterization, neurosurgery, imaging (tele radiology), nuclear medicine, telemedicine, and blind rehabilitation. In addition, SAVAHCS is the host site for various regional referral centers of excellence including the VISN 22 Poly-trauma Network Site, the Southwestern Blind Rehabilitation Center (SWBRC), and the Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Center (PRRC).
Please send applications (curriculum vitae and letter of interest) via email to: Michael Naccarato, National Healthcare Recruitment Consultant: email@example.com or call 602-277-5551 ext. 3526