Pulmonologist/Sleep Medicine Opportunity to provide care to Veterans at the
Phoenix VA Health Care System
The Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care System (VA HCS) is currently recruiting a full time permanent Staff Pulmonary Physician in the Medicine Service, Pulmonary Department, five-days per week, with rotating weekend coverage and evening and weekend call, when necessary. Clinic services are required five days per week which includes patient examinations, patient education for procedure preparation, contacting patients with procedure results, and consult triaging. Pulmonary clinic and scheduled procedures will occur during normal work hours, see below, weekend coverage may be required on a rotating basis, and some on call may be required.
The Pulmonary Physician will need to manage and perform the following items, but not limited to:
- Pulmonary clinic to include examination of patient and establish medical diagnoses by patient history, physical examination, and other criteria.
- Interpret pulmonary function test and blood gases.
- Perform inpatient and outpatient pulmonary consultations.
- Perform Pulmonary and ICU procedures.
The following are some of the procedures that are performed at our Medical Center:
- chest tubes
- intubations and advanced airway management
- right heart catherizations
- exercise testing
- central line placement
- arterial line placement
- hemodialysis catheter placement
- standard bronchoscopy
- bedside ultrasound
- intravenous pacing
- endobronchial ultrasound
- navigational bronchoscopy
- percutaneous tracheostomies
It is understood that not all applicants are capable of doing all the foregoing procedures and having competency in all of them is not required. The minimum requirement is competency in items 1-10.
- Competency in conscious/deep sedation and fluoroscopy is required
- ACLS certification is necessary
- If applicant is certified in sleep medicine, they will interpret sleep studies, overnight oximetry’s, see patients in the sleep clinic, and perform/interpret other methodologist related to sleep medicine
Ability to manage a sleep program. If you have this preferred experience, please annotate appropriately in your CV.
Leadership: The ideal candidate will be expected to fully participate in peer reviews, quality improvement metrics, infection control, and participate in relevant committees.
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 4:00pm.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must B/E or B/C
- Must have full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in ANY U.S. State.
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation – unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays per year with pay
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available.
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
Community, Facility and Organization
Basking in sunshine 300 days a year in the aptly named Valley of the Sun, The Phoenix VA Health Care System is located near downtown Phoenix, Arizona. Although renowned for its warm, dry climate, Arizona’s capitol offers much more than great weather. The Phoenix metro area, now America’s 5th largest city, offers affordable housing and a relaxed, informal southwestern lifestyle.
Diversity abounds. Greater Phoenix has an abundance of golf courses, parks, public swimming pools and bike paths. For the sports fans Phoenix is home to the NBA’s Phoenix Suns, NFL's Arizona Cardinals; major league baseball’s Arizona Diamondbacks and the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes. Across the state, more than 11 million acres of national forest lands provide a varied playground for those who enjoy skiing, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, boating, hiking or camping….for the more adventurous, there's white water rafting on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon! For city dwellers, the valley boasts exceptional shopping and retail establishments, restaurants and night life. The valley is also rapidly gaining prominence as a Mecca for the arts. Phoenix possesses world class museums, a ballet, symphony orchestra and several theater companies.
The Phoenix VA Health Care System proudly serves Veterans in central Arizona at its main medical center and outpatient VA Health Care Clinics.
The Phoenix VA Health Care System is joining a growing number of VA health care facilities in adopting a new method of health care delivery called Patient Aligned Care Teams or PACTs. This system is even more patient-centered and focuses heavily on quick and easy communication between patients and their health care providers.
Please send applications (curriculum vitae and letter of interest) via email to: Michael Naccarato, National Healthcare Recruitment Consultant: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 602-277-5551 ext. 3526