The New Mexico VA Health Care System (NMVAHCS) and University of New Mexico (UNM) School of Medicine are seeking an academic hematologist/oncologist. We are seeking a physician scientist to contribute to our program in cancer care across the clinical, educational and research missions of the VA. The NMVAHCS, affiliated with the UNM School of Medicine, is the VA tertiary referral center for the state. Academic programs in the Medicine Service include educational innovation, outcomes and health services research, as well as translational and basic science research. Colorectal Cancer is a major interest of the Section of Hematology/Oncology.
The selected candidate must be interested and qualified to obtain a faculty appointment with the University of New Mexico School of Medicine. UNM faculty track and rank are dependent on qualifications.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must B/E or B/C in Internal Medicine and Hematology/Oncology
- Must have full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in ANY U.S. State.
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 86 days into a new year
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation – unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays per year with pay
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available.
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
Community, Facility and Organization
The New Mexico VA Health Care System is a tertiary referral center consisting of 184 acute hospital beds, 90 residential rehabilitation treatment program beds and a 36 bed Nursing Home Care Unit. Albuquerque is home to the sole VA hospital in the state but the NMVAHCS operates six (6) VA-staffed Community-Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) and five (5) contract CBOCs throughout the State and southern Colorado. Annually, over 44,000 veterans are served and 33,000 hospital days and 500,000 outpatient visits are provided. In addition to its affiliation with the University of New Mexico, NMVAHCS enjoys affiliations with Central New Mexico Community College, Santa Fe Community College and New Mexico State University.
Albuquerque is a major metropolitan area with a population exceeding 600,000. It has mild winters and pleasant summers. Outdoor activities include hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, fishing, hunting, biking, year-round golf and tennis. NMVAHCS is located on a 100 acre campus; is a 217 bed medical, surgical, psychiatric and research and academic facility with Spinal Cord Injury Center and Geriatric and Extended Care Unit; integrated outpatient and inpatient services provided; full range of primary care, tertiary care; referral services; primary referral site for VISN 18, with significant clinical programs in cardiology surgery, gastroenterology, inpatient psychiatry, lithotripsy and others; affiliated with UNM; VA/DOD joint venture with KAFB ambulatory care facility; Community Based Outpatient Clinics.
Please send applications (curriculum vitae and letter of interest) via email to: Michael Naccarato, National Healthcare Recruitment Consultant: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 602-277-5551 ext. 3526