The Tomah, WI VA Medical Center is recruiting for a full-time Medical Director for Acute Care. You will lead and oversee urgent care physicians, hospitalists, and medical officers of the day (approximately 5 physicians in this pool). You will direct and coordinate medical care on these units as well as supervise other physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants . This opportunity requires Board Certification, knowledge/experience in emergency medicine, and experience managing clinical services in an Urgent Care or Emergency Department.
Tomah, Wisconsin is a rural community with a friendly, welcoming, local population, high quality public and parochial schools, community hospital, low crime rate, no traffic congestion, low cost of living, and a multitude of recreational activities year-round. The Upper Peninsula (U.P.) is home to all but one of Michigan's waterfalls. There are more than 300 falls scattered across the U.P. Fumee Lake Natural Area and other area trails offer miles of trails to enjoy scenic views, wildlife, biking, hiking, cross-country skiing, ATVs, and snowmobiling. There are also numerous waterways for canoeing, kayaking, white water rafting, boating and fishing. Forested areas offer great bird, small game, bear and deer hunting. Nationally rated golf courses and 2 great ski resorts also offer something for everyone all year round.
- Competitive salary and annual performance bonus
- Guaranteed salary increases!
- Full benefits (see below)
- Signing Bonus possible!
- Procedures: Incision, drainage, excision, joint injections, suturing, splinting, etc.
- No call!
- Licensure: 1 Full and unrestricted license from any US State
- CME: $1,000 per year stipend for reimbursement + possible 1 week paid authorized absence to attend
- Malpractice: Liability protection with tail coverage provided
- No Physician Employment Contracts!
In addition to competitive pay and liability protection, the VA also offers a robust benefits plan that includes:
Paid Time Off:
- 208 Hours paid annual (vacation/personal) leave – you can carry over up to 688 hours into a new year
- 104 Hours paid sick leave per year with unlimited carry over! Unused sick leave can be used to extend creditable service time at retirement!
- 10 Federal holidays with pay
- Possible 5 Days paid Authorized Absence to attend CME
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government.
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan comprised of 1) Social Security benefits; 2) FERS-FRAE basic benefits (pension); and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees hired after January 1, 2014 automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee's salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee's salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2016, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $18,000, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $24,000
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions to your TSP fund, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years' service